Wednesday, October 25, 2006

curry with kendrick's trumpeter

A select few who read this blog will remember a post from nearly a year ago.

On Saturday night, well Sunday morning really, I had curry with a guy named Raul D'Oliveira, who plays trumpet for, amongst others, Graham Kendrick. I had been helping out at a concert at a church up the road from me, where Graham had been performing/leading a time of worship.

After we had finished packing down a few of us went out for curry. Raul was to be one of those few - a fact unbeknown to me at the time of agreeing to go for curry. Yes, I just like curry. But that is beside the point. I had already spoken to Raul in a kind of 'you're like, really good at playing trumpet' kind of a way. Earlier in the evening he had performed the most immense trumpet solo, that must have lasted 5 or 6 minutes, and involved him walking the length of the church and back. It was really moving - hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

But what made this experience more special, was the fact that Raul had been something of an inspiration to me growing up. I used to play trumpet (am considering picking it up again now) when I was younger. Hearing him play trumpet in a worship band context partly inspired me to do so during my teenage years - an experience I look back on very fondly - it was one of the reasons I kept coming to church.

Basically, I got to hang out with a guy who inspired me when I was younger.

No comments: