Saturday, February 19, 2005

reading week

This last week has been a reading week for university. While I have done quite a bit of reading this week, I have to confess that none of it has had a particular academic focus. Well it might have some impact later, I just haven't realised it yet.

I picked up a copy of The Da Vinci Code in Sainsbury's. I couldn't put it down, finished it in two days. Whatever you make of the historical accuracy (or lack thereof) it is a well written book, that really draws you in.

Over the last few weeks I've been reading a couple of books by the Linn's. The who's you may ask. They were described to be as charismatic Catholics. They've written quite a lot of books from what I gather. The first book I read by them is called Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life. In the book the Linn's describe the Examen - a process by which we think about what gives us life, and what takes it away.

I'm currently in the middle of another book by the Linn's - Healing the Purpose of Your Life. I'm not very far through it yet, but I imagine I will blog on it in due course.

I'm also in the middle of The Motorcycle Diaries. Now I know that it is/was cool to like Che Guevara, or at least have a t-shirt with his face on it. But I went to see the film when it came out a few months ago, and really enjoyed it. Not only is it an entertaining film, depicting his journey (with a friend and a motorbike) around South America, but it also gives an insight into the background of the guy who we all now know about and instantly recognise. The thing that struck me about him, was his compassion for the marginalised and the oppressed - something that is quite close to my own heart as well. Well worth a look/read in my opinion.

No comments: