Wednesday, September 14, 2005

crash: moving at the speed of life, we are bound to collide with each other

Yesterday, despite having little money, and in the midst of the 'panic' over petrol, I decided to treat myself by going to the cinema across the other side of Sheffield. Somebody, (I can't remember who - feel free to say if it was you) recommended that I go and watch Crash.

It's set in Los Angeles, and provides a snapshot of life in a multicutlural, racial-tension filled, post 9/11 society. You see the way in which a whole array of characters go about their lives, and the way in which these different characters interact with on another - as the subtitle says "moving at the speed of life, we are bound to collide with each other". Sometimes we see these characters as the oppressors, sometimes as the oppressed. It's a fascinating film, with a good soundtrack and some cool stuff on the website - especially the "experience the film" bit. For me, it re-enforced my understanding, or rather lack of understanding, of the why the world is the way it is. Relationships between absolute strangers seem so messed up. Fear prevails. People look out for their own interests, with no consideration for anybody else.

For me it was a hard-hitting, perception challenging film, and would provide plenty of stuff for discussion in a small group setting.

No comments: