Wednesday, January 11, 2006

i can read

It struck me earlier this week that now I've got my essays done, I can read books that i want to. They don't have to be for my studies. Which is rather nice.

On my list of things to read is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Up until a couple of months ago I'd never read any HP books, nor seen any of the films. Just to make it clear, I don't have any problems with HP, I'd just never really cared to get into it before. But not long ago, I thought to myself, why not. So I borrowed the first couple of books from a friend. Since then, I've kind of enjoyed them. I had to discipline myself not to read them while I was writing my essays. I've found them tough to put down. But since I've finished my essays, I can read them again.

Also on my list of books to read is Practicing Passion by Kendra Creasy Dean. I got this book for Christmas, twas on my wishlist I admit, having remembered people recommending it to me in the past. I'll let you know what I think in due course....

Another book that was on my wishlist was Walter Wink's Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way.

I've read a bit of Walter Wink before, he's got some interesting stuff to say about society, the powers that exist within society, and also non-violence. He's got some interesing reflections on the Sermon on the Mount , and I'm looking forward to see what he has to say in this book.

No comments: