Friday, January 04, 2008

so i've managed to find time...

...to go to the cinema a couple of times in the last fortnight. Last week I went to see I Am Legend. Now I don't normall go in for things that can be vaguely linked to zombies, horror etc, but I'm really glad I went to see this film.

The whole undead bit is done very well, and fits with the story. It's not overdone, it doesn't feel too over the top.

I guess one thing I liked about the film was the kind of questions it raised, questions to do with purpose, destiny, suffering. All good stuff. Although the 15 certificate might limit its use in a youth group context it is well worth seeing. And might I add that it is well worth seeing at the cinema, rather than renting on dvd. I won't go into too much detail as to why, just trust me. (Assuming that cinemas across the country do what the Sheffield Odeon did right at the end of the film)

This afternoon I went to watch Into The Wild. I decided that work could wait, and that I'd go to the cinema instead. And I'm really pleased I did. Coming away from this film I remembered what it id I enjoy so much about going to watch films - the challenges, the emotions, the story-telling, the escapism. It has been a while since I've experienced sucha range of emotions while I watched a film, but this afternoon I've been angry, upset, sympathetic, envious, inspired.

You can go elsewhere to read reviews of this film, and you can go watch this film at the cinema or get it out on dvd. The photography/cinematography (whatever the correct term is) is absolutely stunning, and is done by the same guy that did The Motorcycle Diaries, another beautiful film. Much of the soundtrack is written and performed by Eddie Vedder, of Pearl Jam. Therefore, in my opinion, is also rather good.

No comments: