Friday, August 12, 2005

thoughts on life, dreams for the future.....

Some time ago I blogged about a couple of books, one called Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life, the other called Healing the Purpose of Your Life. Both these books are written by the Linns - Dennis and Matthew (brothers) and Dennis' wife Sheila. The books are great. They're really easy to read with lots of pictures. They almost look like kids books, but they're not.

Anyway, why am I revisiting these books on my blog? Well. Both books are to do with the purpose of your life, trying to help you work out what it is that 'Gives You Life', what motivates you, what makes you tick, etc. Now I'm not saying that I've worked out what the purpose of my life is, but, as I reflect on my experiences at Taize there are a couple of things I've picked up on.

One of the things that moved me most during my week away was seeing the smiles on the faces of all the Brothers as they welcomed a new Brother into their community. It's moments like this in films that always get me emotional as well - seeing people having right relationships with one another, loving each other, caring for one another, accepting each other no matter what.

The second thing, which is kind of similar, is just the whole Taize experience itself. Seeing people come together, living as community together, accepting people no matter who they are or what they believe. It's how I think church ought to be. It's how I think society ought to be.

Some people reading this might think I'm getting a bit too idealistic, maybe even naive. I hope not. I think we need to dream big dreams, dreams that are unachieveble on our own, but not with God.

1 comment:

Sarah Brush said...

I pray God makes that big dream a reality for you.

bless you

<><