Tuesday, May 16, 2006

red independent

Alerted to this via Jonny Baker's blog, thought it might be a good idea to go to a shop and pick up a copy.

On the front cover, along with the headline "NO NEWS TODAY - Just 6,500 Africans died today as a result of a preventable, treatable disease. (HIV/Aids)", there is also a Bible reference - Genesis 1.27.....

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."

This particular bit of the Bible has been on my mind quite a bit recently. A few weeks back I went to Spring Harvest where during (at least) one of the sessions this verse was explored. What does it actually mean that we are all, every single human being, created in the image of God? What does it mean in terms of the way we value human life, in our families, in our communities, in this country and around the world? Do we, do I, really treat people as if they are made in the image of God? I think not.

But I/we should.

We've since looked at this idea with one of my youth groups. I think we may do again.

It's also Christian Aid Week. So when your envelope comes through your letter box, put lots of money in it or go set up a standing order and give them lots of money throughout the year.

No comments: